The Argyll neighbourhood is located on land that was once identified by the first river lot and township surveys of the Edmonton Settlement as part of a half-section of land held by J. Eamer. The Eamer family subdivided their property in 1912, just prior to its annexation to Edmonton in 1913. The area, however, remained substantially undeveloped until it was re-plotted and developed in the 1950s.

The neighbourhood is a predominantly single-family residential area, located between two branches of the Mill Creek Ravine and terminating at Argyll Road. The vast majority (88 percent) of homes were developed just after World War II between 1946 and 1960.

This neighbourhood was originally called Edmonton City Heights, but it was renamed Argyll in honour of Sir Douglas Sutherland Campbell, who was the ninth Duke of Argyll and Marquess of Lorne.