Boyle Street is one of the oldest neighbourhoods in Edmonton. Most of the rectangular blocks and straight streets of Boyle Street were recorded on a map of the newly created town of Edmonton in 1892. The Edmonton Settlement had originally been subdivided on the basis of townships and river lots. The grid pattern of streets in Boyle Street conforms to the exterior boundaries of several river lots, and this accounts for their different alignments.
The Hudson’s Bay Company Reserve, situated directly north of Fort Edmonton, forced the town to spread eastward and away from the fort. Because of this, the hub of Edmonton’s early commercial district was located to the east of the present downtown area. The portions of Jasper Avenue and 97th Street that bound Boyle Street were major commerce locations.
Today, Boyle Street borders the eastern edge of Edmonton’s central business district. Extensive redevelopment has occurred within the neighbourhood during the past 100 years. Many of Boyle Street’s original residential properties have been redeveloped.
Commercial land uses are concentrated in the western portion of the neighbourhood, and industrial land uses are dominant along the CNR right-of-way, Boyle Street’s northern boundary. The Quarters Downtown Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP), approved by City Council in 2009, proposes further redevelopment of the area.
It is likely that Boyle Street is named after John R. Boyle, an early resident of Edmonton who worked as a lawyer at Hedley C. Taylor and later served on the city’s first municipal council.
Please select one or more areas to begin your search.